Thursday, March 28, 2013

Our big boy!

See this sweet boy? He's 100% BIG boy now!

He's been saying for months now "I'm not a baby! I'm a big boy!", yet when I asked him about wearing baby diapers, he'd get really quiet. I'd offer underwear and the potty, but his reply was always "I tee-tee in diapers!". He loved the things!

Arabelle was totally different in potty training. She'd go when I put her on the toilet at a really young age...around 18 mo! She was fully in underwear around 20 mo., including dry at night! She really responded well to a lot of praise. Bo could have cared less about clapping and verbal praise.

He was showing signs of readiness (not that he WANTED to, but physically, he was ready), so I'd been planning to get rid of the diapers, suck it up, and potty train this week, since it was Spring Break from school. Of course, Arabelle started vomiting Saturday night and was pitiful all day Sunday, but I knew it HAD to be done. I offered lots of fluids, including popsicles and juice, which he never gets, to keep him going. Everything I had read was called something like "The 3 Day Potty Training Method" and I was hoping and praying that 3 days would be enough!

Monday was Day 1. He was really unhappy about there being no diapers! I asked if he wanted underwear and he said "NO!!!!", so he went bare bottomed most of Monday. Monday was a LONG day....1 pee in the potty and 5 accidents, despite saying "I need to tee-tee" 1,000 times and running to the potty. I expected a lot of accidents, but man, it was a hard day! I think we spent more time in the bathroom than out of it.

Tuesday was Day 2. He woke up wet (goes to bed in a pull up), but the 1st pee of the day made it in the toilet! We were off to a great start! He still didn't want underwear that day, which probably helped the learning process anyway. He still did a lot of  "I need to tee-tee" and running to the toilet, but not nearly as much. In the afternoon the light bulb went off when he used the toilet and he had no more accidents all day! So on day 2, there were 3 in the toilet and just 1 accident (he can hold it for several hours)!!

Wednesday was Day 3. I woke up dreading another day of it, even after the improvements the day before. I was just TIRED and Arabelle had started vomiting again. My legs were sore from all the running to the toilet, following him around the house, sitting on the floor for games/activities (trying to stay off the furniture!), and squatting to sit on the extra step stool while he was on the toilet. But, the day started off great....he wanted to wear undies!! We had a good morning and even ventured outside just after lunch. That's where he had his only accident of the day. I'm assuming he got too busy and forgot. :-p I went to church Wed. night to teach and Jared stayed home with both kids, since Arabelle had been sick that morning. He took the trash out while they were finishing supper and he came in to find Bo on the toilet and using the bathroom, all by himself! Day 3 was just 1 accident and 5 in the toilet!

Today, Thursday, was Day 4. Bo actually shocked us and woke up at 4:30 am calling out that he had to use the bathroom!! He got up, went, and hopped right back in bed. I am SO thankful that our kids sleep in their own beds so easily and enjoy their space. I am not the kind of Mama that can share bed space with a kid! He woke up with a dry pull up this morning, went through the whole day using the toilet, and stayed clean and dry when we went for my Dr. appt. this afternoon. So proud of him! He did discover the perk of being a boy....he can use the bathroom outside! ;) He made it through the entire day with NO ACCIDENTS!!! He even refused the pull up at bedtime tonight and asked for underwear. We'll see how that goes. :)

I will be watching him pretty close in the coming days and I fully expect him to have accidents here and there, especially when he heads back to 'school' Monday morning, but I think it's safe to say he's potty trained!

I'm SO proud of my big boy!! And so thankful that it really was just a "3 Day Potty Training Method".


*Arabelle finally seems to feel better. She was sick off and on from Saturday night until this morning. Poor thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment