Friday, October 12, 2012

Arabelle's Yearly Urology Check-Up

Wednesday, Arabelle had her yearly urology check-up. If you remember, she was diagnosed with vesico-ureteral reflux as a baby (basically, urine refluxes back up towards the kidneys from the bladder). Here's her update from last year.

We left Tuesday afternoon to head to Atlanta. Arabelle was SO excited to stay in a hotel that night! We dropped Bo off at Mamaw and Papaw's house and headed north! Arabelle talked the.whole.time. I woke up with a migraine Tuesday morning and spent the day in bed until it was time to go, so you can imagine the mood I was in!

We survived the drive and checked in the hotel near Scottish Rite. Arabelle chose her bed, put some things away, looked out the window, etc. She chose pizza for supper and Jared found a great place, Blue Moon Pizza, for us to enjoy.

We met up with some friends and had a great time! Back to the hotel for bed, but Arabelle wasn't winding down at all. She *finally* fell asleep and I scooted over to the other bed with Jared. We have a king bed, so the double bed seemed tiny! I ended up bed hopping all night after feeling pushed out of each bed. Arabelle slept good though and loved the free breakfast!

We didn't have to be at the hospital until 10. Arabelle didn't seem to remember the place from the year before until she saw the train and birds in the check in area. When we got there, they had cancelled our appt. because we didn't have prior approval from the insurance company. Nice. All I had to do was call Nuclear Medicine to get her back on the schedule and walk to the Dr. office to get the authorization number. No idea what the issue was between the departments!

Jared went back with her since I couldn't (pregnancy), she got an IV in her hand, and was dosed with the isotope for the test. She had a DMSA Renal Scan this year. After the dose, we had to wait 2 hours before the scan, so we went to the cafeteria for lunch. Arabelle though the cafeteria was wonderful! I guess having so many choices was appealing to a 4 year old.

Plus there was a red velvet cupcake in it for her!

After we ate, we walked around outside a bit, then played in the library they have there. They had a ton of books and games!

Finally it was time for the scan. Jared went back again, obviously. He said she didn't like laying still for so long (around 45 minutes), but she did well. We grabbed the disk and went across the street for the Dr. appt. It was 3:15 at this point and making for a long day! 

We got the news we were wanting though! Her kidneys looked normal and healthy and we don't have to go back, unless there is a problem! We were so glad and ready to get out of there! Of course, we left the parking deck at 4:50 pm. Wonderful.

Traffic wasn't too terrible, but pretty thick. Every single time Jared stopped on the interstate, Arabelle would ask him why he stopped.  It ended up being funny after a while. ;)

It was such a long day and I'm so glad we don't have to do it again next year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment