Friday, May 27, 2011

Cloth Diapers

A fellow blogger, Jill from Jill on the Journey inquired about cloth diapering on my "Bo is 9 months old!" post, so I thought I'd do a little post about cloth diapering!

I do the easiest form of cloth diapering, I think. I have all one size, pocket diapers. They have snaps on the front to adjust  to the size of the baby. They claim to fit babies from 7-35 lbs! I did try one on Arabelle when I pulled them out for Bo and they still fit her. She was just over 2 at the time. I have mostly BumGenius diapers. They have updated their diaper since I bought them when Arabelle was a baby and now have velcro and snap options. Mine are all velcro. They are easier to put on than the snap, but Bo already knows how to take his diaper off, so he has to keep a onesie or shorts on at all times. :P I do have one Fuzzibunz that has snaps and I like it for older babies. They each come with a newborn sized insert and a regular sized insert. For overnight use, it's good to stuff the diaper with both inserts.

I started when Arabelle was about 4 months old. I did make a big investment, but they have more than paid for themselves. I use disposable diapers away from home, but lots of people take a wet bag and use them 100% of the time! I usually can stretch a big box of diapers ($20) 1.5-2 months.
Arabelle in her first cloth diaper (a BumGenius).

This cow print one has always been a favorite. It's a Happy Heinys one-size diaper.
They are pretty easy to wash! When you remove the diaper, you shake out the insert, so you have covers and inserts. Then you do a cold rinse, hot wash, and an extra rinse. You have to be sure to use cloth diaper approved detergent so you don't get a build up of detergent, with repels the urine and causes leaks. I like Rockin' Green cloth diaper detergent. Dry, stuff, and you're ready to go!

Yep, Bo wears pink diapers too. ;)
I bought all my diapers at Kelly's Closet. There is all the info you'll ever need about cloth diapers on their site. I have really enjoyed cloth diapering because it's SO easy and saves a bundle!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post, Katie! There is actually more to it than I thought! It sounds kinda complicated, but I'm sure it's not...I just know nothing about cloth diapering!
    Bo and Arabelle are so precious. They favor a lot around the eyes. They look so much alike in the pic of them in the pink diaper!
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete